What is the connection between the problems with blood pressure and Erectile Dysfunction?
Problems with erection can be caused by organic causes associated with blood vessels, nerves and hormones, or psychological factors. Current statistics shows that 80% of all problems with erection are caused by organic causes.Usually an erection occurs when imagination or sensations (sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste) are stimulated and the person is excited. The central nervous system begins to send nerve impulses, which increase the flow of blood to the penis. Blood fills the spongy tissues (cavernous bodies) inside the penis, which leads to its increase in volume and the acquisition of rigidity.
Blood pressure problems as one of the key factors influencing Erectile Dysfunction
For the emergence of an erection, the following four factors are necessary:
- A normally functioning nervous system that will send out the necessary signals to the penis;
- An intact system of blood vessels (cardiovascular system) that allows blood to flow freely into the vessels of the penis and flow without interference;
- Healthy smooth muscle tissue of the penis, which should be relaxed so that the penis can be filled with blood and grow in volume;
- The ability to hold the blood in the penis so that it remains rigid.
Problems with the blood vessels (vascular system problems) can prevent the penis from filling up with blood or its finding inside the penis long enough to maintain an erection. For example, prolonged high blood pressure can damage blood vessels and lead to erectile dysfunction. High blood pressure often does not have symptoms. But its influence on your sexual life can be obvious. Although sexual activity is unlikely to pose an immediate threat to your health (for example, to provoke a heart attack), high blood pressure can affect your overall sexual satisfaction.
What is the connection between blood vessels and erection problems?
Because an erection causes the filling of the penis with blood, problems with the blood vessels can lead to problems with erection (erectile dysfunction). Such problems with vessels include:
- Hardening of arteries (atherosclerosis) in the penis, which can block the flow of blood to the penis or to the arteries filling the arteries of the penis.
- Side effects of medications that negatively affect the blood vessels (for example, some diuretics or other medicines for high blood pressure) that can disrupt the process of filling the penis with blood.
- The leakage of blood from the cavernous bodies of the penis through the veins, which carry blood from the penis. This can lead to the inability to withhold an erection.
High blood pressure over time leads to damage to the shell of blood vessels and arteries, which can cause narrowing of blood vessels (atherosclerosis), which limits blood flow. This means that less blood can enter the penis. For some men, a decrease in blood flow makes it difficult to achieve and maintain an erection called erectile dysfunction. The problem is quite common, especially among men who do not cure high blood pressure, which can also cause problems with ejaculation and decreased sexual desire. Sometimes medicines for treating high blood pressure have similar effects.
Is it possible to treat Erectile Dysfunction caused by blood pressure problems?
First of all, it is necessary to see your healthcare specialist and treat your blood pressure problems, which have led to Erectile Dysfunction problems. Get a professional consultation of your doctor to get rid of the organic cause of Erectile Dysfunction. In case you deal with it, you will automatically improve your sexual life.